Announcement of Oracle buying Sun Microsystems( Monday Apr 20 , 2009 ) is one of most important news in IT market in 2009 as this announcement that may help in guessing who will be the next Web Giant. Oracle is on a spree to gain as much share of the Web as possible Last year Jan 2008 Oracle acquired Bea ( Weblogic ) , No 1 player for middleware for web applications and now its Sun which seeded the growth of Internet and had a major contribution in the growth of Internet and web applications.
Oracle acquiring Sun will have a large impact on the IT market and may trigger a hope of revival in the recession hit IT market but there are many areas and things which are still unclear in this acquisition and may impact many IT providers / products in a big way.
Some good things that may be coming ahead:
1. Now since Oracle , Bea, Sun are together any client developing Web applications may benefit on costs and time as all the products required for Web Application development may be bundled together and come with a lower price tag.
2. Less support cost - Having one provider can significantly lower the support cost.
3. May help in reviving the sinking Sun server market - Oracle can give a shot to revive sinking share of Sun server market and can provide service provider Software and hardware bundled together.
Things which may impact many IT providers :
There are multiple things which may impact many IT providers and fate of many great software's developed till date and thousands of IT man hours has come to stake from this acquisition.
1. Netbeans : Oracle has been supporting Eclipse , Now whats in future for Netbeans ( Sun ) .
2. MySQL: Oracle is database Giant , now whats in store for a opensource database MySQL ( Sun ) .
This acquisition will for sure have a large impact on the IT Industry as a whole and on many products , Lets see how Oracle predicts the future.